The Master of Public Health (MPH) is a professional degree for individuals who want to practice in a public health setting. It requires a minimum of 45 credit hours, including a practice experience and a culminating experience. Most full-time students generally complete the requirements in two years.
All MPH students across the five programs must take the following grounding core courses in each of the five disciplines for a foundational knowledge of public health.
- EPID 6210: Principles of Epidemiology – 3 Credits
- BIOS 6100: Biostatistics I & Lab* – 3 Credit
- ENHS 6238: Principles of Environmental Health – 3 Credit
- BCHS 6212: Behavioral Science Theories in Public Health Practice – 3 Credit
- HPSM 6268: Health Services Administration and Management – 3 Credit
- PUBH 6150: Foundations and Ethics in Public Health Ethics – 3 Credit
- PUBH 6216: Biologic Basis of Health (for non-health background students) – 3 Credit
*BIOS 6220: Principles of Applied Statistics for BIOS program students
Total 20 Credit Hours
- Behavioral and Community Health Sciences
- Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
- Health Policy and Systems Management
Total 19 Credit Hours
The MPH Practice Experience is a project or activity that immerses the student in one of more aspects of public health operations under the guidance of a preceptor. This fieldwork may include, but is not limited to: community education, health promotion, program planning, program organization or management and/or grant writing. It does not include the performance of a purely clinical or clerical activity. Click here for more information on PUBH 6800 Practice Experience.
Total 3 Credit Hours
All professional degree programs shall assure that each student demonstrates skills and integration of knowledge through a culminating experience. The student is required to synthesize and integrate knowledge acquired in coursework and other learning experiences and to apply theory and principles in a situation that approximates some aspects of professional practice. At LSUHSC-SPH, this requirement is fulfilled by PUBH 6600. This course is a case study and issue-based course that is taught in the spring semester with interdisciplinary teams of students and faculty.
Total 3 Credit Hours