The School of Public Health’s Epidemiology Program provides a limited number of travel awards to full-time students (2nd year MPH and PhD students) to encourage student participation in academic meetings, conferences and other related activities. Grants are limited and received once per fiscal year (July to June) per individual.
Applications for the Epidemiology Travel Grant should be completed and submitted to Director of Epidemiology, along with all supporting materials: application check list, detailed budget, student statement, advisor statement, and proof of presentation acceptance. The application must be submitted at least a full month before the date of the meeting. You can access all the application documents here.
The student will be reimbursed only upon submission of appropriate receipts, which must conform to LSUHSC University policy on allowable travel reimbursements.
Applications will be reviewed within two weeks. The decision to award support and the amount of support awarded (up to a maximum of $500 per meeting) will be based on the following criteria and are under the purview of the Director of Epidemiology:
- Students is presenting work
- Student’s presentation is tied to student’s thesis, final data analysis project
- Meeting is directly related to the student’s principal area of interest and the meeting presents academic value for professional networking
- Participation and visibility in the conference:
- Professional quality/ impact of the presentation
- Size/quality of the meeting (local vs. national, for example)
- Support from advisor statement
- Availability of Program funds
- Lack of availability of alternate sources of travel support