Master of Public Health (MPH) Degree
Minimum requirements for admission to the LSUHSC School of Public Health are:
- A baccalaureate degree from a college or university approved by a regional accrediting agency
- A grade point average of 3.0 for undergraduate and graduate work based on a 4-point scale
- A minimum score of 300 on the Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Report from Educational Testing Services, with code: Louisiana St U HSC Sch Pub Hlth SOPHAS, 1316
- Satisfactory standing at the most recent educational institution attended
- International students must submit official reports of scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) from the Educational Testing Service. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, or 79 on the Internet-based test are required. Alternately, the English Language Testing System (IELTS) report is also accepted.
- The World Education Services (WES) evaluation report is also required for all non-US university transcripts. The Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) report is also acceptable. The WES or ECE converts educational credentials into their US equivalents. They describe each transcript, certificate, diploma or degree that you have earned and state it’s academic equivalency in the United States.
- Please note that individual programs may require higher GPAs and examination scores. Check individual program web pages for this additional information, when applicable.
- Upon admission, foreign nationals must provide a copy of their passport. Those individuals who do not have permanent residency status must also provide a bank letter (on bank letterhead, dated within the year and signed by a bank official) stating the availability of adequate funding or a letter of sponsorship from a recognized sponsoring agency (signed and dated on agency letterhead) must be received. Proof of funding is required in order to obtain a visa. Please note that the process of obtaining a visa may take 90 or more days. Therefore, early application is required.
NOTE: Public Health students who apply for admission to the LSUHSC School of Medicine, or any other LSUHSC professional school or training program cannot begin another degree program until they have completed the public health degree toward which they are working.
Master of Science (MS) Degree
The M.S. is offered jointly through the Schools of Public Health and Graduate Studies. Applications to the MS degree in Biostatistics must be submitted through SOPHAS. Requirements for admission are the same as admission to the MPH degree programs.